I’m still trying to accomplish what I wanted for 2016 and now it is time to make another list, it seemed a bit overwhelming to me. Looking back on my year, I lost weight, and then gained some back. I saved some money, then spent more. Most times life enjoyed me, and I was just along for the ride.
According to many sites on the internet, the top five 2016 New Year’s resolutions are:
- Enjoy life to the fullest 2. Live a healthier lifestyle 3. Lose weight 4. Spend more time with family and friends 5. Save more, spend less
Sounds easy enough, but tomorrow, most of us will realize we may have only carried out one or two of them. With a little help from family, friends and champagne we will make our list for 2017 with every intention of carrying it out.
A friend of mine sent me an idea for New Year’s Eve. Fill a jar with 10 goals, good things you want to have happen. In exactly one year, empty it, and see what was achieved. My response was “OK, but I might be really pissed off in a year!”
This being the last working day of the year, I was focused on getting my mind prepared for my work day, going through my schedule step by step and only paying attention to my thoughts and the traffic. I had about 10 minutes left on my drive when I finally relaxed my thinking enough to hear what was on the radio. The traffic report was finally in my favor and I felt myself smile because I was NOT going to be late to work today! I noticed a light snow begin to come down, the wind slightly increased and then a song came on and I found myself suddenly relaxed.
Have you ever heard a poem, or words from a book or movie that just feel like they are reaching into your soul and squeezing it? The lyrics I heard this morning were like a whisper to my heart in such a way that tears were immediate.
I could attach a part of my life to each one, some good and some bad and I felt relieved. I was comforted in the fact knowing that I get to re-set my clock this weekend. I feel secure enough to be proud of what I have accomplished this year and at the same time courageous enough to reach for more in the coming year.
Today’s timing could not be more perfect, with the new year on the horizon, it was almost like being hit by a lightening bolt; and it brought insight to my thoughts about this past year. Was I on track? Yes I was on MY track. I was just where I needed to be. I may not have accomplished every goal but I did reach some that were never set in the first place.
If I look at the top 5 again I would answer this way:
1. Enjoy life to the fullest? Yes, I took a trip out-of-state to spend time with a woman whom I never met but who meant the world to me.
2. Live a healthier lifestyle? Yes, I joined a gym hired a personal trainer and not only ran my first 5K but two of them!
3. Lose weight? Yes, even though I put some back on, I still lost enough to motivate me to continue.
4. Spend more time with family and friends? Yes, I was blessed to have spent three weeks with a cousin from Australia that I had never met, and I have re-kindled a friendship from my childhood.
5. Save more, spend less? Well, if making a budget and sharing expenses counts as saving then yes! As far as spending less….go back to #1 enjoying life to the fullest.
What I initially thought were setbacks,this year were just nudges in a different direction bringing me closer to my best life. For me this song is my 2017 walk up song, you know like when a baseball player is going to bat, or a runner crossing the finish line.
I will share the song with you in the hopes that it will also reach someone out there who may be looking for their song to close out 2016 and welcome 2017 with open arms.
The song is called “One Step Away” by Casting Crowns. The verse that really called to me is below. (click and it will take you to the entire song)
Lay down, lay down your old chains
Come now, and take up your new name
Your best life up ahead now
You’re one step away
Have a Blessed and Happy New Year!!! Got your song ready? please share in the comments